Wednesday 11 February 2009

Escape to Stavanger, Norway

This is the third time that I visited Stavanger. The first time was more than 7 years ago when I was visiting a family friend with my wife. The second time was just last year in September or so. This time I was curious to see if the snow in Aberdeen will rival the snow in Stavanger ... and I was not disappointed. There are a lot more snow on the ground in Stavanger, though the 3 days that I was there were bright and sunny. Almost everyone that I met was talking about the skiing they did over the past weekend and planning of more skiing in the weeks ahead. Apparently there are very nice places to ski a short drive away from Stavanger.


Beautiful sunrise on Monday morning

Stavanger is much closer to Aberdeen than London. Flight from Aberdeen to Stavanger takes only 45 minutes while to London is about an hour. According to Google Earth, driving from Aberdeen to London will take 9 hours 38 minutes over the distance of 537 miles while driving to Stavanger will take 18 hours 35 minutes over a distance of 632 miles ... ? I guest sitting in a ferry crossing the North Sea from Newcastles to Stavanger can be considered driving. 
Like Aberdeen, Stavanger has a lot of granite. In fact there's several road with tunnels through the hills where I think they got their granite. Unlike Aberdeen, Stavanger buildings and houses are more modern, colorful and they are not made of granite. They seems to use granite to reclaim or flatten land rather than build buildings and houses.

Full moon on Monday night

Fountain in Breiavatnet in front of the hotel

Full moon above street light

Shops are closed but street was nicely lit

Harbour - there's actually swans following me

There's a lot of construction in Stavanger. I was a little late going to the office in Tananger this morning in the taxi due to heavy traffic. There was traffic back up at the road construction area and the taxi driver took a detour via Sola. When I was leaving the office today to go to the airport, no one was allowed to go outside for a while because blasting was ongoing and there was loud siren to warn people to stay away. The building actually shaken the moment the blast went off.

View in Tananger area


Constructions outside the building in Tananger area

For the 3 days that I was away, Aberdeen has not been snowing but having really cold weather instead with temperature dropped to as low as -15 degree C on Monday while Stavanger was just around -4 degree C. So I managed to escape the really cold temperature. When my plane landed in Aberdeen, however, it was snowing at the airport ... here we go again ...

No comments:

Post a Comment